InTrans's multimedia training facility is available to the Iowa Department of Transportation, Iowa's city and county transportation agencies, Iowa State University centers, institutes and departments, and the ISU Research Park for meetings and workshops. Organizations have used the facility to
- Provide hands-on training to software end-users
- Involve people at several distant locations in "face-to-face" meetings and workshops
- Save travel costs and time
About the Facility
The room accommodates up to 49 people, with movable tables for flexible teaching/meeting arrangements, 4 large marker boards, and a large projection screen. The facility may be used during normal business hours (8 am to 5 pm). Special arrangements will need to be made for events outside of normal business hours. This facility is located in the Institute for Transportation's office suite in Iowa State University's Research Park at 2711 S. Loop Drive, Suite 4700, with convenient access and plenty of free parking. See the map to InTrans.
About the Equipment
Includes special-use technologies and equipment:
- two video cameras and two high resolution projectors
- document camera
- input for personal computers
- wireless network access via ISU network policies
- room audio and microphone for stand-alone use
- audioconference (full-duplex speakerphone)
A media cart and other equipment can be made available with prior arrangement.
- 8 Asus Eee PC netbook computers:
- Intel Atom 1.66GHz; 2GB RAM; 250GB HD; Bluetooth; 802.11n Wireless; 3 USB ports; built-in 0.3 MP Webcam, speakers, and microphone; external microphone and audio out jacks; 10.1 inch screen capable of 1152x864 resolution and VGA out; 2.8 lbs
- Operating under Windows 7 Pro
- Basic software includes: Microsoft Office Suite(Word, Excel, PowerPoint,) Adobe Reader, and basic web browsers.
- 6 Targus USB Presentation Slide Advancers/Laser Pointers
- VGA display connection at podium can be used to project to the front and/or rear projector screens
- Uses the accepted standard for global Internet videoconferencing.
- Can be connected to
- web-based video conferences and training seminars.
- other university and private sites around the U.S. and the world.
- the Iowa Communications Network (ICN) through its networking bridge.
- Half day: $300
- Full day: $500 ($300 for InTrans sponsors)
Additional costs will be charged if InTrans must rent equipment from an outside source or if additional help is needed for software installation or setting up and tearing down the room. Information regarding any additional costs will be provided as soon as they are known.
Reserving the Facility
The multimedia training facility is booked on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations may be made up to 3 months in advance. Reservations for middle-of-the-week days or multiple days that are not contiguous can cause additional scheduling problems and require additional approvals. If you require an additional room, please request it at the time of reservation.
Submit a Reservation Request
The facility and quipment equipment is coordinated through InTrans' receptionist. Contact reception at 515-294-8103 to determine the facility's availability on the date(s) you'd like. The receptionist can also assist in obtaining other equipment from outside sources, but additional charges will be made at actual cost. Complete and submit a request to use the facility (53 kb pdf) via fax, 515-294-0467.
Set-up and Tear-down
Groups using the facility must furnish all specialized software AND certify to their possession of a legal number of software licenses to be installed on the training computers. This certification needs to be made before the first day of class.
Group coordinators must discuss configuration needs with the system support staff well in advance of the event to ensure that InTrans can provide what is required, especially if outside laptops will be brought in. Group coordinators must also provide extremely clear loading and configuration information to the InTrans systems administrator or plan to be on site PRIOR to the first day of the event to assist the systems staff in loading and configuring the computers.