Start date: 01/01/04
End date: 12/31/05
- David White | 515-294-1463 | email@example.com (project list)
- Vern Schaefer | 515-294-9540 | firstname.lastname@example.org (project list)
About the research
As a result of forensic investigations of problems across Iowa, a research study was developed aimed at providing solutions to identified problems through better management and optimization of the available pavement geotechnical materials and through ground improvement, soil reinforcement, and other soil treatment techniques. The overall goal was worked out through simple laboratory experiments, such as particle size analysis, plasticity tests, compaction tests, permeability tests, and strength tests. A review of the problems suggested three areas of study: pavement cracking due to improper management of pavement geotechnical materials, permeability of mixed-subgrade soils, and settlement of soil above the pipe due to improper compaction of the backfill. This resulted in the following three areas of study:
- The optimization and management of earthwork materials through general soil mixing of various select and unsuitable soils and a specific example of optimization of materials in earthwork construction by soil mixing.
- An investigation of the saturated permeability of compacted glacial till in relation to validation and prediction with the Enhanced Integrated Climatic Model (EICM)
- A field investigation and numerical modeling of culvert settlement
For each area of study, a literature review was conducted, research data were collected and analyzed, and important findings and conclusions were drawn. It was found that optimum mixtures of select and unsuitable soils can be defined that allow the use of unsuitable materials in embankment and subgrade locations. An improved model of saturated hydraulic conductivity was proposed for use with glacial soils from Iowa. The use of proper trench backfill compaction or the use of flowable mortar will reduce the potential for developing a bump above culverts.
Report: Final Report: Optimization and Management of Materials in Earthwork Construction (TR-501) (2.29 mb pdf) April 2010
- TRB 2008 Paper: Laboratory investigation of optimization of materials in earthwork construction by soiil mixing (off site), Oct 2011
- Tech Transfer Summary: Optimization and Management of Materials in Earthwork Construction 301 kb pdf (Tech transfer summary) May 2010
Sponsor(s): Iowa Highway Research Board