InTrans ensures that research will be oriented toward real-world results and applications by structuring its research activities around interdisciplinary and interorganizational teams. InTrans regularly publishes research reports and other products of research such as manuals and handbooks. See the full list of publications.
Research at InTrans focuses on the following:
- Pavements, bridges, and structures
- Transportation asset management, pavement management, bridge management
- Information systems, remote sensing, for solving transportation problems
- Extension and training
- Construction and geotechnical engineering
- Advanced transportation technologies, including intelligent transportation systems for commercial vehicle operations
- Transportation policy and planning
- Traffic engineering and traffic safety, access management
Research Sponsors and Partners
InTrans actively partners with public, private, academic, and professional organizations at the city, county, state, national, and international level. See the list of all InTrans research sponsors.
The principle sponsor of InTrans research is the Iowa Department of Transportation.
Major national-level sponsors include Federal Highway Administration, Innovative Pavement Research Foundation, U.S. DOT's University Transportation Center Program, and American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials.
Sorted Project Lists
InTrans project information includes brief descriptions of research, researchers' contact information, a list of sponsors, and links to online reports and related publications. Projects are grouped according to the following listings:
CTRE traffic research
Pooled Fund Research Administered at InTrans
In addition to its sponsored projects, InTrans administers two national-level transportation pooled fund projects that conduct research.
Research by Centers and Programs
Many of InTrans' centers and programs have specialized research interests and individual research pages:
- Bridge Engineering Center
- Center for Transportation Research and Education
- Center for Weather Impacts on Mobility and Safety
- Center for Earthworks Engineering Research
- Midwest Transportation Consortium
- CP Tech Center
- National Center for Wood in Transportation Structures