Additional low-cost safety improvements
Recent Iowa DOT-sponsored workshopsIncorporating Safety into Rehabilitation, Restoration, and Resurfacing (3R) Roadway Projectsoffered county engineers advice about low-cost safety improvements.
Some improvements discussed at the workshops included the following:
- adding rumble strips in advance of stop signs and along pavement edges in problem locations
- updating guard rail to current standards
- removing trees and utility poles from clear zones
- using bigger and brighter chevrons for curves (see related story in the Sep-Oct 2004 issue of Technology News)
- flattening fore slopes and driveway slopes
- adding advance warning signs l
For more information
For general information about low-cost safety improvements, contact Tom McDonald, LTAP safety circuit rider, 515-294-6384, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about the Mendocino County (California) traffic safety review program, contact Stephen Ford, 707-463-4363, email@example.com.
For information about crash analysis tools, visit www.dot.state.ia.us/crashanalysis/.
For more information about the Iowa DOT District 4 pavement markings project, contact James Bane, 712-243-3355, firstname.lastname@example.org.